Saturday, May 9, 2009

DARKNESS TO LIGHT

MOVING FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT

Do you ever wonder what is the purpose of life, what should you do with your life, how can you know what is right to do? Most of us don’t realize the darkness we have been living in.

The light began to come on after I received Jesus. I had a glimmer in my heart that God would show me what to do if I listened carefully. I didn’t listen for a “voice or a vision in the night.” I began reading my Bible every day. It was surprising what I found!

God has been listening to people’s prayers since the dawn of history. It is recorded in the Old Testament. Abraham and Moses, David and many others cried to God for strength and guidance. Their prayers are recorded for us, and the answers are clear.

The problem with our culture is that people don’t open their Bibles to see what God says. This book is not obsolete, though it was written centuries ago. It is up-to-date with mankind’s need. It is a living book, sharp as a sword and powerful to reach our emotions and illuminate our minds.

Sitting on a fallen log at Tahquitz Pines in the mountains of southern California, I discovered marvelous things written just to me. All the campers had their Quiet Time before breakfast, scattered across the forest, each sitting in a private place to communicate with God.

This was an experience I will never forget. I had been a believer for about a year, but I had not read my Bible regularly. Someone at church had generously made it possible for me to go to summer Bible camp. It changed my life.

I made a resolution at the campfire meeting that night, throwing a piece of wood into the fire. “I want to have a Quiet Time with God every day from now on,” I said to all the campers. “I know God will guide my life if I really listen to Him and go His way.”

That has been the secret to joy in my life. Every day I have something to look forward to, some new and precious promise in God’s Word. In the evenings I have the satisfaction that I tried to follow God the best that I could. And whenever I stumbled and confessed it to the Lord, I knew He forgave me as promised in I John 1:9. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Live in the Light! Don’t live in darkness.

– rosyfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment